System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 is a server-based application that enables disk-based and tape-based data protection and recovery for computers in and across Active Directory domains. DPM performs replication, synchronization, and recovery point creation to provide reliable protection and rapid recovery of data both by system administrators and by end-users. DPM uses replication, the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) infrastructure, and a policy-driven engine to provide businesses of all sizes with nearly continuous protection and rapid, reliable data recovery.
There are three types of errors that i have bumped in to those are the following:
- Replica is inconsistent
- Recovery point creation failed
- Unable to configure protection
All of these errors generates a critical alarm in the monitoring tab. They are in fact very critical since it could mean no backup at all involving the affected server/client. But do not panic, they are in fact easy to get to working again. All you have to do is follow my steps in this troubleshooting-guide. This is an example of how it could look:
Replica is inconsistent
This alert is generated when the replica of the specified volume on the DPM server is inconsistent with the data source. All protection activities for the data source will fail until the replica is made consistent with the data source by performing synchronization with consistency check.
Possible causes for an inconsistent replica include:
- The consistency check that DPM automatically performs on a newly created replica during replica creation has not yet been performed.
- The synchronization log on the file server ran out of space before all data changes to the data source were logged.
- DPM determined that the file server shut down unexpectedly.
If a daily consistency check is scheduled, DPM will automatically perform the consistency check at the next scheduled time.
Recovery point creation failed
This alert is generated when DPM fails to create a recovery point for a data source. Data Protection Manager (DPM) creates recovery points for each data source from which you can recover data.
The error conditions and recommended actions associated with each “Recovery point creation failed” alert are provided in the alert details for the DPM alert. Follow the recommended action in the alert, and retry the job. You can access the recovery points on the DPM server to recover previous versions of data. You can manually create a recovery point in the protection task area.
Unable to configure protection
DPM periodically contacts the DPM agents to check connectivity status. This alert is generated when the DPM server has not been able to contact the specified file server since the specified time. If the connection is not established, subsequent data protection jobs will fail. The error conditions and recommended action associated with each connection failure are provided with the alert. Some common causes include:
- File server is not available, The file server has been shut down or has been disconnected from the network and cannot be contacted.
- The DPM File Agent is not compatible with DPM software, A more recent version of Data Protection Manager has been installed on the DPM server, but the DPM File Agent on the file server has not been not updated.
- File server is behind a firewall
- Firewall settings on the DPM server or the file server are preventing the DPM server from communicating with the file server.
1. Make sure the clients agent is reachable and working correctly navigate Management > Agents > Refresh
2. On the clientserver start CMD in administrator mode. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\BIN enter following:
SetDpmServer.exe -DPMServerName DPMSERVER.yourdomain.com
3. If it’s a server that is not on the same domain as the DPM server use this instead:
SetDpmServer.exe -DPMServerName adm-sto-vsh-10.admin -isNonDomainServer -userName “LocalWindowsaccount” -productionserverdnssuffix “Domain”.yourdomain.com
It will promt you for the password, enter the password and configuration will complete successfully.
4. Restart the server
5. Preform the consistency check manually again. And we should be done.
6. If this did not help, uninstall the client agent and install it again. And repeat phase 2 + 3.